Breastfeeding of Infants and Young Children
Breastfeeding of infants and young children is a moral, natural, and unique function that women engage with their infants and young children with unparalleled advantages for themselves, their recipients, communities, and the humanity.
Annually, over 800,000 deaths can be attributed to violation of optimal breastfeeding behavior
According to the UN convention, breastfeeding has been declared as a right of every child.On a global scale, only 36% infants are exclusively breastfed as per guidelines
Breastfeeding not only provides essential nutrition for survival and growth of infants and young children but also protects them from deadly diseases in their childhood and protects them from other major adverse health events in later life. It simultaneously offers numerous health benefits to breastfeeding women too.
There is no other man-made concoction that can match the composition of breast milk in terms of composition, benefits, cost, and convenience
Tips on Breastfeeding
- It is highly desirable that expectant women receive advice or counseling from the trained healthcare provider well before their delivery.
- Breastfeeding should be initiated within one hour of birth, followed exclusively for first six months, with commencement of supplementary feeding after six months, and to be continued at least till the young child turns two years.
- The best position to breastfeed a baby is the one in which you and your baby are properly ‘latched’, and there is no strain in maintaining the position.
- A lactating woman with cold or flu too can breastfeed her baby.
- Take good care of hygiene of areas around nipples and the surrounding skin.
- Your diet during lactation period should comprise of healthy amount of vegetables, grains, milk, fruits, and multi-vitamins.
- Please consult your healthcare provider if you need to take any medication while you breastfeed.
- Avoid alcohol, tobacco, or other addictive substances while breastfeeding.
- A breastfeeding woman should be familiar with the concept and technique of breast pump as in some situations, this option may have to be exercised.
- There are resources on advice about breastfeeding that can make up for difficulties in accessing healthcare provider for in person support. One should be familiar with such resources and their availability may vary according to geographical location and resources.
You are permitted to share, distribute, print, or reproduce this article for private use with proper citation of the source. The article is a part of our service to fellow human beings as a means of health education and awareness enhancement to minimize dependence on healthcare
Dr Vinay Kumar
Senior Consultant Dermatologist
+91-93 199 299 00
(More articles available on the website)
Suggestions, Queries, and Comments are welcome